FAIR USE ON YOUTUBE
The following information references YouTube‘s official fair use explanations listed under their “Learn About Copyright” help section:
“Fair use is a legal doctrine that says you can reuse copyright-protected material under certain circumstances without getting permission from the copyright owner. Different countries have different rules about when it’s okay to use material without the copyright owner’s permission. For example, in the United States, works of commentary, criticism, research, teaching, or news reporting might be considered fair use.”
THE 4 FACTORS OF FAIR USE:
- The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes.
- The nature of the copyrighted work.
- The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole.
- The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work.
(Last Accessed on December 4th, 2019)
HOW SKORVION GAMES USES ADDITIONAL CONTENT
Skorvion Games sometimes uses content found online and on YouTube for our own video projects in the spirit of commentary, reviews, research, teaching, learning, news reporting, and other educational and community based purposes.
Anything notable that we use from other sources (noted here as “additional content”) is always credited and/or linked back to in our video descriptions. Any copyright infringement is not intended. We try to follow fair use principles to the best of our current knowledge and awareness.
We create videos that are uploaded to our YouTube channel with the intention of educating, inspiring and motivating others in some form through the current video topic and theme. We also wish to provide entertainment value in some of these videos which can result in any additional content that we used receiving additional attention and popularity (to the benefit of the source / content owner).
Our understanding is that in connection with fair use, given its nature of being partly open to interpretation, that there is no way of knowing in advance with 100% certainty if our use of another creator’s content is indeed fair use. In the spirit of good faith and cooperation we apologize in advance if we have unknowingly infringed upon your rights, and will take action to correct our mistake. Please contact us if you have any concerns.
WE BELIEVE OUR USE OF ADDITIONAL CONTENT IS FAIR USE BECAUSE:
- Our videos are FREE to watch on YouTube for everyone.
- We always credit our content sources in video descriptions.
- Only parts of additional content are used to get a point and/or atmosphere across where necessary.
- The content is often mixed in with our video’s topic and theme to give it some new value and keep everything meaningful, entertaining and/or interesting to viewers.
- There is no intention of using the “heart” of any piece of work that would decrease the market value of the original content, and we often even hope to indirectly promote it and increase said market value.
- Inclusion of additional content in our videos is at times just illustrative or atmospheric and serves to facilitate the viewer’s desire for additional research, learning and getting to know more about what was shown.
- We highly value cooperation, contribution, respect and gratitude in all things, which is why we link to this page in the description of every video we publish on YouTube (for clarification, trust and transparency).
IF YOU ARE THE OWNER OR HOLD THE RIGHTS TO CONTENT WE HAVE USED IN OUR YOUTUBE VIDEOS, PLEASE READ THIS PAGE AND THEN CONTACT US VIA EMAIL FOR ANY IMPORTANT INQUIRIES IF NEEDED.